Race calendar and club championship
New for 2019, Dragon Running Club have identified races throughout the year that all members are invited to take part in (from 5Ks up to marathons, near and far). For some races the club will provide transport to and from the race. The races will form part of the new club championship.
The races are:
- January – Tatton 10K (Sunday 13th)
- February – Harewood House trail 10K or half marathon (Sunday 17th)
- March – Trafford 10K (Sunday 10th)
- April – Shakespeare half marathon or marathon (Sunday 28th)
- May – Liverpool Spring 10K (Sunday 5th)
- May – Wythenshawe Parkrun (Saturday 25th )
- June – Bowden 5K (Thursday 6th)
- July – Wizard 5 mile trail (Tuesday 9th)
- August – Blackpool run the lights 10K (Saturday 17th)
- September – Littleborough 10K (Sunday 29th)
- October – Manchester half marathon (Sunday 13th)
- November – Wilmslow festive 10K (Sunday 24th)
- December – Stockport 10 miles (Sunday 15th).
Trafford trails 5
The Trafford Trail 5 is organised by Dragons Running Club. Established in 2017, it is an easy going summertime 5-mile trail race. Starting at the Metroviks Rugby Club in Sale, the route meanders along the banks of the River Mersey, adventuring through woodlands and up into Stretford Meadows before returning to Sale along the river.
Further details are available on the Trafford Trails website.
The club also competes in the Manchester Area Cross Country League series. The races are held between u and February and are advertised on our Facebook page.
The league consists of 5 events, each in a different location. You don’t have to do all the races, you can even just do one if that’s all you can make, but of course you are very welcome to do all of them. All abilities, ages, standards are welcome – it’s not just for the speedy ones.
The courses are off road in parkland areas. Expect to have fun and to encounter hills, mud, trails, woods and tree roots, which means it’s great for strength and resistance training.
Each event has a male race and a female race. The men run around 6 miles or a little more, women run between around 5 and 6 miles.
It’s a requirement of MACCL that all runners must be a club member and wear their club vest. As it will be muddy, wet and slippery it will also definitely help if you wear spikes or nobbly-soled trail shoes, but it’s not obligatory and underfoot conditions will depend on the weather and individual venue.
The dates for the 2019 season are below. Women go off at 1.30 and men at 2.30:
- Saturday 12 October Wythenshawe Park
- Saturday 9 November Kenworthy Woods/ Manchester University
- Saturday 7 December venue TBC
- Saturday 11 January venue TBC
- Saturday 8 February Heaton Park.
If you would like to join the team or would like to get further information from Dragons who’ve done cross country before, please speak to any of the Committee or one of the run leaders on a Tuesday or Thursday, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
And if you’re not running, there’s a role for you as supporter, photographer and provider of tea and cake!